[Skimmertalk] CW Skimmer Server CPU overload caused by transmitting nearby (too many decoders)

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Fri Jun 28 22:44:51 EDT 2019

I ran a QS1R with Skimsrv at my old QTH, running 1400 watts input.
Through experimentation I discovered that with my Clifton active whip
about 300 feet from my transmit antennas, I could use PTT to *open* the
antenna lead at the QS1R's input and totally quiet it down.  I
experimented with shorting the input first, but it did not work nearly
as well.

I've observed that both the QS1R and my new RP-16 spawn decoders on
multiple bands in response to thunderstorms in the area.  Generally
these expire very quickly.  I get somewhat the same effect if I connect
and disconnect antennas from the SDRs while they are running.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.