[Skimmertalk] CW Skimmer Server CPU overload caused by transmitting nearby (too many decoders)

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jun 28 16:17:55 EDT 2019

Can you please post the attachments somewhere?  The Skimmertalk reflector
deletes them.

However, it's usually impossible to keep a transmitter and a wideband
skimmer going at the same time at the same QTH without running into
problems like this.  I'm not sure what type of transmitter you're using,
but some transmitters are much cleaner than others.  Transmitting bandpass
filters may help a little, but maybe not enough.

Intermod from nearby non-linear devices (rain gutters, TV preamps etc.) can
cause hundreds of spurious signals to appear inside the Skimmer passbands
when you're transmitting, producing a huge number of decoders and CPU
overload.  The skimmer itself may be suffering from front-end overload.

According to this site, your z400 workstation has a Passmark rating about
40% slower than the one I'm using.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+W3565+%40+3.20GHz&id=1270

But it should be fast enough if you're not running RttySkimmer Server.

There's really no adjustment for this.  Automatically switching your SDR to
a dummy load while transmitting might be the best solution, but if you
prefer QSK like I do, you're out of luck.

I just terminate all skimmers at my QTH when I need to transmit.

Try transmitting into a dummy load.  Same problem?  Station leakage through
coaxes may be to blame.