[Skimmertalk] Current SDR choices for CW skimmer?

Jeff Maass K8ND jmaass at k8nd.com
Fri Mar 20 13:18:11 EDT 2015

G'day Andy,

I replied to your inquiry on Facebook, and will expand a bit here.

I have used SDR-IQ and Perseus SDRs for serious lowband contesting from the
PJ2T station for six years, and both are good receivers. Both are
single-band-at-a-time, but software can be used to switch bands on a
schedule (I have not done this).

I now own four SDR-IQs . You can find an occasional SDR-IQ on eBay at some
discount.

I have one Perseus, obtained new a couple of years ago. The Perseus is
slightly better, but is twice the price of the SDR-IQ and about the same
price as the QS1R. I don't use the SDR-IQ or Perseus radios for Reverse
Beacon Network (RBN), except for occasional testing. They are used as
dedicated on-site CW Skimmers, feeding our contest program directly with
spots.

The QS1R is a better investment for Skimmer Server, providing up to 7 bands
simultaneously (up to 192 kHz of each) and also covering 6-meters. I have
one here for the K8ND Skimmer Server, and one on Curacao for the PJ2T/PJ2A
Skimmer Server, and they have been effective and reliable. A preamp is
recommended. A 2+ amp 5Vdc power supply is required.

Please add RBN coverage in the Northwest for as many bands as you can
manage!

73,  Jeff  K8ND