[Skimmertalk] Current SDR choices for CW skimmer?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Mar 20 14:32:44 EDT 2015

Hi Andy - K8ND has already given you a very nice response about various
radios commercially available. One I would add is the Softrock Ensemble
II or II, either of which can be had for under $100 assembled from
KB9YIB.  I tested one here, hoping that it would prove, in combination
with W3OA'sband rotation software, to be an acceptablesubstitute for the
QS1R in the RBN's gap-filling initiative.  Just for fun, I ran it off
the same antennaas my QS1R, and compared a bunch of rotation intervals,
changing bands every 2, 5, 10 and 20 minutes.  While the sensitivity on
any given band was closely comparable to the QS1R, I found that at most
the Ensemble only yielded about 30 percent of the number of spots
produced by the QS1R, both during contest weekends and ordinary times.

There are a couple of other options out there.  There's a creature
called an RTL Dongle which is a dirt-cheap TV tuner. with an
upconverterfrom Nooelec.  N1GP has even figured out a way, with some
Linux programming, to gang 7 of these through a single upconverter and
an rtl to hpsdr program (see https://github.com/n1gp/rtl_hpsdr ).  He
has run up to 7 RTL dongles simultaneously with CW Skimmer Server
through a .dll written by K3IT to interfact Skimmer Server with Hermes.
For that matter, Hermes would be another option.

I'll be glad to fill in more info offline if you want.  It would be
great to have more capability in the Pacific Northwest!

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.