[Skimmertalk] Skimmers and no-ip.com

Wes Cosand wes.cosand at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:02:02 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com> wrote:

> I think that a vertical is best, though some guys use directional
> antennas.  I use a small active vertical - WZ7I uses a Hy-tower.  I
> don't think my little vertical hears at all well on 160, and hope Wes
> will comment on what he thinks of the Hytower on that band.

Hi Igor:

This is a very good question.   If these SDRs require an impedance close to
50 ohms for reasonable sensitivity, how do we do that for six to nine bands
without a lot of complexity?

Active antennas such as those from Jack Smith at Clifton Labs and from DX
Engineering provide a reasonable solution.  You can use the tools at RBN to
compare them.

 I use a 40' HyGain HyTower JR. with 32 65' radials.  It is reasonably
inexpensive and easy to repair.  It isn't resonant on 160 meters or the WARC
bands but I seem to get pretty good reception and the impedance isn't too
far off.  Contesters on 160 meters tell me the data is useful.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Wes, WZ7I