[Skimmertalk] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

Rick Eversole rick at eversoles.com
Tue Oct 21 12:21:30 EDT 2008

Bill Tippett wrote:
> I've used Skimmer, PowerSDR and Winrad waterfalls for some time now.
> I very much prefer Skimmer's display and rig interface.  I find it
> very easy to click on the dots to send my K3 to exactly the right
> frequency (versus attempting to line up the crosshairs using PowerSDR)
> and then decode the signals by ear.
>
> I have no interest in using Skimmer's decoder since I normally operate
> in Unassisted categories, but I would really like an option to put
> Skimmer into a waterfall-only mode (i.e. no decoding).  This might
> also relieve some of the CPU burden when using less than a 2 GHz
> machine.
>
> I suspect others might be interested in the same option.  Alex, is
> there any chance you might consider such an option for those of us who
> love Skimmer's display and interface, but don't want to put ourselves
> into Assisted categories by using Skimmer as presently configured?  Do
> any others feel the same?
>
> 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Be careful on this.
While this group is for technical discussions and not the "legal" issues
about using Skimmer,
as the chairman for the California QSO Party I would caution that using
Skimmer in a limited fashion
is walking the same fine line of using a spotting network but only
sending a spot and
"not actually reading any spots". This makes a murky area even murkier.

If you want a tool that will give you the waterfall display, you might
look elsewhere like the
DM780 software that is part of Ham Radio Deluxe. Or try any PSK31
software's waterfall
displays. CW is generally pretty obvious on those displays as well.
Once you drop Skimmer's decoding then many of the waterfall displays of
other digital mode
softwares start looking OK. YMMMV

OTOH, if another piece of software that is not skimmer were produced
that has no capability to
decode, then that would be different than Skimmer with decode "disabled".

73
Rick "The Rhino" N6RNO