[Skimmertalk] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 21 13:08:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Rick Eversole <rick at eversoles.com> wrote:
> Bill Tippett wrote:

> If you want a tool that will give you the waterfall display, you might look
> elsewhere like the
> DM780 software that is part of Ham Radio Deluxe. Or try any PSK31 software's
> waterfall
> displays. CW is generally pretty obvious on those displays as well.
> Once you drop Skimmer's decoding then many of the waterfall displays of
> other digital mode
> softwares start looking OK. YMMMV

Rick, I've actually used Skimmer, Winrad and PowerSDR waterfalls but
I'm not sure you have.  Alex's implementation of waterfall in Skimmer
is far superior to any of the others I've seen.  It's **MUCH** easier
to use.  Regarding your cheating comments, if people want to cheat
then they will always find ways to cheat if that's what they really
want to do.  Disabling the encoder in Skimmer is not going to make
people more likely to cheat, but it will allow those of us who want to
enter Unassisted to still use the excellent waterfall implementation
in Skimmer.

FYI, Alex is already implementing this.  See his response I just got
from the DX Atlas Yahoo Group:

"Hi Bill,

The Blind option has been requested by José CT1BOH and is currently being
developed.

73 Alex VE3NEA"

I'm going to encourage Alex to get this done before the CQ WW CW.

73,  Bill  W4ZV