[Skimmertalk] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 21 11:13:01 EDT 2008

I've used Skimmer, PowerSDR and Winrad waterfalls for some time now.
I very much prefer Skimmer's display and rig interface.  I find it
very easy to click on the dots to send my K3 to exactly the right
frequency (versus attempting to line up the crosshairs using PowerSDR)
and then decode the signals by ear.

I have no interest in using Skimmer's decoder since I normally operate
in Unassisted categories, but I would really like an option to put
Skimmer into a waterfall-only mode (i.e. no decoding).  This might
also relieve some of the CPU burden when using less than a 2 GHz
machine.

I suspect others might be interested in the same option.  Alex, is
there any chance you might consider such an option for those of us who
love Skimmer's display and interface, but don't want to put ourselves
into Assisted categories by using Skimmer as presently configured?  Do
any others feel the same?

73,  Bill  W4ZV