[Skimmertalk] Modus operandi?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Nov 13 07:33:37 EST 2008

The secret is that Skimmer works with the digitized I/Q data.  Sound cards
are available with reasonably flat response up to 192 KHz, and 96 KHz sound
cards are dirt cheap.  So if you are using an SDR that relies on the
computer sound card to produce the I/Q data stream, like a SoftRock, then
your sound card determines the maximum bandwidth Skimmer can deal with -
+/- 48 KHz for a 96 KHz sound card, for example - with the center frequency
being set by the receiver.  Many modern SDRs have their own digitizing
capability built in, and produce the necessary digital data stream for
transmission via USB or a serial port to the computer.

The way to attach a Skimmer to the IF of any receiver is to take the RF out
before the roofing filter, where the bandwidth is much larger, and then mix
it down to a frequency that a simple SDR can handle.  Back in the neolithic
era, radios like the TS-940 had this capability built in, for use with the
Kenwood SM-220 monitor scope.

73, Pete N4ZR