[Skimmertalk] Modus operandi?

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 12 07:11:32 EST 2008

This will probably look like a pdq, but hey I'm just a CW operator  ;-)

I can see how e.g Skimmer is working in a 3kHz b/w by looking
sequentially ( or simultaneously?) at all audio tones in the passband
and using its clever decoding algorithms.

But how does it do this in say a 75kHz b/w ( assuming appropriate rx
filters) when a sound card with response presumably limited to say 15kHz
is being used to sample the output? Does it actually sample the passband
in say 15kHz chunks and remember where it has been?

As well as an academic interest, I am given to wonder whether modern
receivers with only a 3kHz IF capability could achieve wider coverage (
albeit not strictly in real time) by using their own internal scanning
functions to cover the 75kHz capability of Skimmer?

73

Clive
GW3NJW