[Skimmertalk] Brief experiment with Skimmer and 40 MeterSoftRock at Field Day

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Jul 1 01:32:22 EDT 2008

> Thanks for the confirmation of the fact that the SO/No Sklimmer
> and SO+Skimmer are in different classes.

That's not what I said ... As long as SO1R and SO2R are in the
same class, then SO+Skimmer and SO/No Skimmer are the same class.
There is no difference between a SO2R station - particularly a
SO2R station using Writelog - and a skimmer station in terms of
the "resources" in the station.  Both are two receiver stations
with a single operator and no "outside participation."

> The matter is, some No Skimmer operators want to compete to
> eachother and they don't want to be in the same class with
> SO+Skimmer...

The matter of fact is that SO21R operators want to compete with
each other and don't want to be in the same class as SO2R but
that ain't happening.  Low power/non-gain operators want to
compete with each other and don’t want to be in the same class
as a 100 watt station with stacked yagis but that ain't happening
either.

Until contest sponsors want to start adding restrictions on the
ability to use duplex capable receivers, or start defining "power"
in terms or EIRP, there will always be one group that thinks the
other groups has an "unfair" advantage.

SO2R and Skimmer equipped stations have exactly the same equipment
- how they choose to use it is up to the operator.  If contest
sponsors want to say "no duplex receivers" it knocks out both
SO2R and skimmer ... if contest sponsors want to say no computer
processing, it knocks out computer logging, SCP and skimmer.  BUT
it is just plain wrong for contest sponsors to reject a specific
piece of software or one particular type of receiver.