[Skimmertalk] CW Skimmer I/Q balance calibration

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Dec 1 07:55:29 EST 2008

Hi Dean - there is no balance editor, per se.  However, you can add
additional data points in the same part of the spectrum where the bad data
points are, and the calibrator will eventually let the majority win.  One
way I have done this is to run my radio into a dummy load, and arrange the
antenna on the softrock so that it gets enough signal to calibrate, but not
so much that it goes into clipping.  It looks as if about a 25 dB SNR is
needed.  Then you can tune the radio up and down the band, sending dits,
and it'll calibrate quickly.

I discovered in the course of trying to bandswitch my softrock lite 8.3
all-band version that the I/Q gain and phase corrections apparently are
limited to about 20 degrees of phase difference - above that nothing
works.  I wonder if a variation on that might explain your issue with the
Delta 44?

Sounds like you are running multiple softrocks with Skimmer - I'd be
interested in hearing more, for my upcoming NCJ article.  Have you used it
in a contest?  How did it work for you?

73, Pete N4ZR