[Skimmertalk] How to skim more than 24 kHz with Flex 5000A RX2

Edward Russell ehr at qrv.com
Mon Dec 1 10:08:18 EST 2008

Many CW Skimmer users have asked for a way to expand the skimmed bandwidth
beyond 24khz with a Flex 5000. This is possible if you have a Flex 5000 RX2
second receiver. Assuming you already have Skimmer set up to work with the
Flex, here are the 20m CW steps:

Use the w2rf branch of PowerSDR:

On the VAC page check Use RX2

Set the Primary Sample Rate to 96khz/512 (for this example)

Set the RX2 VFO frequency to 14.056

Make sure SR (spur reduction) is off

In Skimmer:

Set the Radio Type to SoftRock (NOT SoftRock-IF)

Set the CW Pitch to 600 (or whatever you use)

Set the LO Frequency to 14046400 (RX2 freq - 9khz IF freq - 600hz vfo pitch)

Set the Sample Rate to 96khz

Start PowerSDR and CW Skimmer

That's it! Skimmer is now skimming 96khz of bandwidth.

(You can still use RigSync to Click-Tune PowerSDR VFO 1 from Skimmer)

Let me know of questions or problems.

73 Ed W2RF