[Skimmertalk] Skimmer use places op in Assisted category forCQWW

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Thu Aug 14 04:10:05 EDT 2008

>  3.7.2.2. Multioperator and Single Operator Assisted stations may use
> spotting nets.

Yes, but in the context of remote receivers, it's helpful to see the entire
section:

3.7. All transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter
diameter circle, excluding antennas.

	3.7.1. This prohibits the use of remote receiving installations.
	3.7.2. Exceptions:

		3.7.2.1. Stations remotely controlled by radio link may use
necessary equipment at the control point. This does not include using the
control point as another receiving location.
		3.7.2.2. Multioperator and Single Operator Assisted stations
may use spotting nets.

Without the explicit exception, packet spots wouldn't be legal because they
come from receivers outside the 500-meter circle. My question was, why
should a remote Skimmer receiver sending spots to a packet cluster be
treated differently?

As for your question about spotting callers: Although I may continue to ask
some questions on this reflector, I'm going to avoid expressing any public
opinions until after the CAC has competed its study of CW Skimmer.

73, Dick WC1M