[Skimmertalk] Skimmer use places op in Assisted category forCQWW

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Aug 14 06:19:47 EDT 2008

At 04:10 AM 8/14/2008, Dick Green WC1M wrote:
>                 3.7.2.2. Multioperator and Single Operator Assisted stations
>may use spotting nets.
>
>Without the explicit exception, packet spots wouldn't be legal because they
>come from receivers outside the 500-meter circle. My question was, why
>should a remote Skimmer receiver sending spots to a packet cluster be
>treated differently?

Dick, I see 3.7.2.2 as another one of those anachronisms that plague the
ARRL contest rules.  I bet that if you trace its history it would go back
to the era of 2-meter voice spotting nets.  Certainly, it never foresaw the
Internet, SDRs, etc., or DX clusters for that matter. 3.7.2.2 could be
deleted today without affecting anything except to clarify the rule..