[Skimmertalk] Skimmer use places op in Assisted category forCQWW

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Wed Aug 13 20:49:38 EDT 2008

Dick,

Is this what you are referring to?

 3.7.2.2. Multioperator and Single Operator Assisted stations may use
spotting nets.

>N4ZR wrote:

>Addition of local Skimmer capability in classes above >basic single-op
>does no harm.

I agree with you Pete.  Not sure why you keep talking about local
Skimmer.  I relented on that subject a while back and local Skimmer is
not the subject we have been discussing.

Dick/Pete,

Let me ask you a direct question.  Please answer to the best of your
ability as you interpret the CQ and ARRL rules and tell me where in the
rules it is illegal if you think it is illegal.

Is it OK for someone in Europe set up an SDR hooked to Skimmer, write a
program for it to find me when I call CQ and automatically QSY another
normal receiver to my run frequency where that receiver, also connected
to Skimmer or another code reader will feed through a private or public
telnet connection, the callsigns it copies on my frequency?  Or, if it
makes a difference in the answer, it is OK that someone manually tunes a
receiver to my run frequency, hook it to a code reader so they don't
have to type in everyone who is calling and automatically spot everyone
who calls on my frequency?

If the answer is that it is legal, we have a serious problem.  If the
answer is that it would not be legal, please tell me what rules prohibit
me from taking advantage of what I just described.

Thanks...Stan, K5GO