RE: [WriteLog] OQP module problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] OQP module problems
From: "John E Bastin, K8AJS" <jbastin@sssnet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:09:17 -0400
At 16:18 -0400 08_24_2003, Pete Stafford wrote:
Yes George, I noticed exactly the same things and I agree with your
assessments.

I would add to your list though, the fact that the summary window did
not show the multiplier breakdown between CW and SSB.  Since mults are
not band-related, additional columns or totals to show this would be
nice.

This was a PITA breaking the info down manually, only because they asked for it broken down for the 3830 web page. Not needed for the contest entry, though.

I wound up running a Report of contacts listed by band, after the contest, to get the CW/SSB information for the 3830 report.

And although there is no direct necessity for it, I found myself
laboriously counting the number of counties I still needed.  Would be
nice to have a count like that.

Didn't you check the "Show Multipliers" window?

Also, when working some of the many mobiles, it was difficult to determine if working the station again was now a dupe. I found myself entering the callsign, and then tabbing over to the county field to enter the county, then tabbing off that to see if I got the dupe message. Not sure how to avoid that one, though.

I think this would be very difficult to do without messing up the dupe check entirely.

And while I'm at it, since in this contest packet was allowed (to encourage participation), it would be nice for Out-of-State participants if one could filter out those spots clearly non-Ohio. Add to that, the ability in the mult window to distinguish between mobiles that have changed county - this might encourage the spotting with format K8MR/ERIE.

Something I've wanted for a long time in WriteLog is the option to include the Comments field from the packet cluster in the packet display. I found myself many times opening the full Packet window to see the Comments field when I saw a mobile spotted, to find the county information which was posted in Comments. This information isn't needed in every contest, but for the ones like the QSO Parties when stations can be worked multiple times, it would be very helpful.

  _
 /~\ The ASCII        | J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
 \ / Ribbon Campaign  | jbastin@sssnet.com         K8AJS@arrl.net
  X  Against HTML     |       http://www.qsl.net/k8ajs
 / \ Email!           |