AW: [WriteLog] W5XD keyer control

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: AW: [WriteLog] W5XD keyer control
From: clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk (Clive Whelan)
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 18:12:26 -0000
 Jim Brannigan wrote:

> Now, after years of using twin paddles in "straight mode" I'm not sure I
> could use a single paddle keyer.
> Iambic keying has some advantages, but I wonder how many hams actually use
> it.

Your question is very relevant, and one which Wayne/W5XD will need to
consider for future firmware updates ( will these be plug in replacements I
wonder- Wayne?). Inasmuch as there is a continuing market for single lever
paddles, and yet no keyer that I know fails to offer iambic mode, I suspect
the answer might be a minority. We need a straw poll, and perhaps the good
guys here will vote.

and  DL1EFD wrote

> hmm, for me the possibility to switch off dot/dash memory is
> more
> important. I wonder who invented these in the first place
> anyway.
> You have to move your fingers even faster... Unfortunately
> most
> rigs internal keyer has these memories. I just can't get used
> them.

Hundertprozentig korrekt! Perhaps it is old age and numb fingers, or plain
sloppiness but I also can't get used to the dot memory being permanently on.
W9TO in 196x with a Mercury wetted relay worked as well as anything since
imo.

73

Clive
GW3NJW