Re: [VHFcontesting] Mount Moosilaukee removal

To: Howard Reynolds <wa3eoq@gmail.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Mount Moosilaukee removal
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 17:00:25 +0000
Howard and all, Mount Aggie was the site of my first multi-op VHF contest
operation. In 1961, K1NTC, K1KOB and I hauled Gooneyboxes for 6 and 2 meters up
there on a toboggan for the January contest. K1KOB, Lucky, was 16 and could
drive (Curt and I were younger - not sure why my parents let me do this!) we
parked at the base of the hill where the snow plowing stopped and dragged the
gear up maybe 2 loads?. We set up in one of the old military buildings that was
left over from WW2. (they had a submarine spotting station up there as I
remember). We were in a corner of an old cinderblock building that still had
some roof on it and built a fire in the corner to keep warm (not kidding!). We
had a 3 element beam, Armstrong rotated on 6 and maybe 5 elements on 2.
Generator borrowed from Portsmouth NH civil defense (I think the Gonsets came
from there too).

I think we made something like 70-80 contacts in 8 or 9 sections on the 2
bands. There was an ice storm overnight and the antennas got coated and were
pretty useless until we realized we could lower them down and knock the ice
off. Got a writeup and our picture in QST too!

I've thought of going back up there with a rover station from time to time..
What's a QR code?? hah hah.. progress I guess.. it is a beautiful view from up
there..

bill, k1DY