[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night is coming up.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night is coming up.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 22:12:35 -0400
Hello 222 MHz addicts,

I am back fresh from the NE VHF Conference and am all psyched up to embark on a bunch of new ham radio projects. Unfortunately the 222 MHz Activity Committee has lowered the boom on me for not maintaining my 222 MHz station in top running condition. Apparently, someone spilled the beans about my rig failure last week during the Sprint, and the 222 MHz Activity Committee has called me on the carpet. I was ordered to perform community service to improve 222 MHz activity by removing several obstructions that impede contacts between certain areas in the Northeast   I started yesterday morning in an attempt to remove New Hampshire's Mt Moosilaukee in partial fulfillment  of the 222 MHz Activity Committee requirement. I am using a good Aubuchon Hardware steel shovel and a rake from Ocean State Job Lot.  Mount Moosilaukee is locate west of  Kinsman Notch and North Woodstock, NH. It is 4800 ft high and composed mainly of hard metamorphic rocks from the Devonian period. I am worried that my Ocean State Job Lot rake  might wear out quickly as the rocks are full of mica black tourmaline and garnets. After all, those rocks were formed when the North American Plate split from the European Plate and started drifting westward a few years ago.  To keep the "Committee" happy, I started digging out the hillside on Monday along Route 112 near Lost River Gorge.  I am hoping to spend some regular time there, off and on, in hopes of making a dent in the project, but some political controversy has developed as Mt. Moosilaukee is one of the New Hampshire 4000 fters that so many hikers like to climb, and the thought of a flat gravel parking lot in place where the mountain previously existed has caused a significant  amount of outrage among environmental groups.

I will be back in FN43Mumbo Jumbo on Tuesday in hopes of some action on 222 MHz Activity Night. My rig is all fixed up and I am hoping for better luck than I had last week when my operating ceased almost right at the start of the festivities!  Please get on and make some noise even if there are hills in the way at some of your headings and realize that the  exalted 222 MHz Activity Committee has a plan in place to remove these bumpy eyesores and cut down on your path loss at the same time!   Check out the ON4KST Chat page and try some skeds with stations who may be a bit distant from you.  Activity starts around 23:00 UT and continues for a few hours. Modes can be SSB, CW, FT8 or other digi modes. Don't forget that the following night is the 432 Sprint, so make sure your stuff is all ready to go as well for Wednesday!

Keep an ear peeled for Aurora. While not expected this Tuesday, it could happen at any time, what with the current Sunspot cycle really heating up. If the AU gets to 144, there is a good chance it can make it to 222 MHz as well.  I have been hoping and waiting for a good buzz session.

CU on Tuesday night.

Dave K1WHS