Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving

To: VHF <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, Herb Krumich <wa2fgk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving
From: Pete K0BAK via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:33:53 +0000 (UTC)
 My first thought is whether your rotator itself is really 120v, or is that
just the input to the controller but there's actually DC going to the rotator?
I think many or most rotators use lower voltage DC. My Yaesu 800 has a DC
motor; I use a Green Heron DC rotator control that accepts 12vdc input voltage.
[I think there are also cheaper non-commercial DC controllers with only
computer control.] The 800 rotator is a little under-volted so it turns a bit
more slowly than using the native Yaesu 120vac-input controller, but I think it
would be hard to notice.
If you want to stick with what you have and use AC, an RF-quiet inverter is
important. Even many inverters that claim to be "sine wave" output are noisy
because even if true, there's plenty of noise sources in cheaper linear power
supply circuits. Before I eliminated all need for AC in my van, I used a 150w
Samlex inverter model PST-15S-12A, which I can verify is virtually noise-free
even on HF (but this was years ago and there's no guarantee that's still true).
-- Pete K0BAK

    On Friday, April 12, 2024 at 09:26:10 AM EDT, Herb Krumich via