[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night Summary

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night Summary
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:49:37 -0500
Hello VHFers

I tried to spend an enjoyable afternoon on Tuesday down at the local mall. I  checked out all the latest fads. It was exciting to watch people glued to their phones while walking around in a trance.  I must admit it got boring after awhile. I tried a few things to keep busy.  I tried people watching,  singing for loose change, and sniffing glue, but it was no use. I mean how much fun can it be at a mall anyway?   I was up at the shack at about 5:30PM so I could install my repaired VHF band decoder. I needed a lot of time as there were so many cables that needed to be dealt with. I got everything installed and lo and behold it actually worked again.  I had some time left over so tried some FT8 on 10 M and worked a whole pile of JA stations while running just 50 watts. My ten meter setup is somewhat hosed as my three stack of five element yagis is broken and I could use only the top yagi.  I am waiting for warm wx so I can climb up there and figure out what went wrong.  The single yagi works pretty well even with the almost QRP level of 50 w.  I listened on the low end of ten for CW but fond none. I quit the ten meter stuff at 23:40 UT and started operating on 222 in the other building. I don't have the log in front of me, but am going from memory. N1JEZ was in there trying with WA1RKS and I made a few early contacts and figured that things were not too bad. N2JQR had a good signal. QSB was very evident however. Wide swings in signal strength was the norm.  I tried with WA3SSG and it took awhile, but I caught a QSB peak and he came up enough to copy on SSB.  I wish those SSB ops would try CW even at 5 or 7 wpm. It isn't that hard to get familiar with your call and maybe a grid square and RRR to make a QSO. There is about a 10 dB advantage with CW over SSB with trained ears. Anyway, it was great to work WA3SSG.  Later on I managed a SSB QSO with AA2SD on SSB in FM29.   WB2RVX and KA3FQS made it into my log.  WA3NUF had a good signal as usual. N2SLO had wide QSB swings from Long Island. Distance is maybe 210miles and the QSB was huge. His signal on SSB went from loud to rather difficult to copy in the space of 30 seconds or so.  Good Buddy Ron, WZ1V was all over the place it seemed.

My attempt with WA3EOQ was early in the evening and I called Howard, and was rewarded with a Q4 answer on CW. I copied the entire sequence, maybe missed a few letters, but it was surprisingly steady. The next sequence was the same. I copied a bunch of RRs and 73s. I am always amazed at how well WA3EOQ comes through up here on CW. My beam heading is not the greatest as I am pointing at some high ground, but I think the horizon angle is not too bad, as I am scooting just north of some 1400 ft hills. My antenna is at 970 ft.   The amount of QSB seems related to path distance. There is only slight variation in the signal levels over a 500 mile path.

I ended up with 25 stations worked and I was getting tired at 02:30 UT.  Hey it was  a tough day down at the mall sniffing glue, so give me a break! I asked K9MRI if he wanted to try some meteors. We started and had a completed QSO within about 6 or 8 minutes. That surprised me as February is normally the pits for meteors. That made QSO #26. I am not sure if there is a prize. I doubt it, but it was fun seeing the level of activity.  Some folks were missing. N1SV had an excused absence. It was his wedding anniversary.  I seem to have missed K1TEO  but he was on and worked WZ1V.  I tried a MS attempt with AJ6T near Nashville, In ten minutes of trying, Walt heard nil, but he is farther away than K9MRI. The MS returns thin out with distance it seems.  VE3KG was on but no luck hearing VE3FN or the Toronto boys.  All in all it was a great night with no lousy weather. Even K1PXE was surprised as he had no rain or precip either!!   Thanks to all who get on from the more remote areas.  N1GC, W5EME, AA9MY K8TQK KC4AAW, W4GA etc.

CU next time.

Dave K1WHS