[VHFcontesting] It is 222 Night already

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] It is 222 Night already
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:57:39 -0500
Dust off the VHF gear as today is 222 Night and you can make some contacts on 222 this evening.  I also checked the EME conditions and found that degradation is very low for this evening. In fact we are blessed with actual positive conditions as the Moon is being influenced by the gravity of Pluto and the Coriolis Effect due to upwelling of warm water in the eastern Pacific.  This has resulted in a huge reduction of the traditional path loss from the Moon and this evening only, you can hear EME signals using a very small antenna and RG-58 feedline connected to your Gonset Sidewinder.    Well actually I lied about the low path loss, but the conditions will be quite good. I also lied about the Gonset Sidewinder business.  The problem is that the Moon will be already be up on the West Coast by 2200 UT today, so you will need to elevate your antenna unless you live in Hawaii. Oh, and i also fibbed a bit about the coax, and you should not use any RG-58 for your feedline unless you want another heater in your shack.

I will be looking for contacts starting a bit before 00:00 UT which is 7 PM East Coast time.  I will monitor the ON4KST and HB9Q chat pages.  Look around 222.100 the calling frequency and then move off as you make contacts.   Many folks watch 222.174 MHz FT8 as well.  Hepburn shows nothing but that only means that you will not work any exotic DX unless you work for it.  Meteors will work on 222.  You can even try Q65 skeds beyond your typical max range.  If you do work something special, be sure to let us all know. Don't forget to keep an eye on Solar conditions. An aurora can occur now that the cycle has ramped up.  222 aurora can be quite good.

CU this evening!

Dave K1WHS

I scored a very neat 115 vac winch that I am going to use as a tower work winch. Most winches are small and can hold only 40 ft or so of cable. There are no low cost choices for any winch that can hold 300 ft of decent sized cable. Pricing starts at about $1500 for such winches.  I found a winch locally with a big drum and 1/4" wire rope. It is used in gymnasiums for raising and lowering basketball backboards.  It is rated for over 1000 lbs carrying weight. I made a few mods to disable limit switches, but it looks great for tower work. I priced a new one and it is about $1400. I paid $100 and it works great!! It has a 3/4 horse motor and a decent sized oil filled gear box that drives the drum. Speed is 9 ft per minute or so. I am now working to convert it for tower work so it will bolt to Rohn 25/45/55.