Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] K1WHS 222 activity night report

To: David McKenzie <k1fsy@vhfwiki.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, NEWS Reflector <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [222Activity] K1WHS 222 activity night report
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:51:04 -0500
Hello Dave & 222 addicts,

I found condx to be pretty good considering that a bunch of bad weather was heading our way.  I was on 222 a bit before 00:00 and one of my first QSOs was Ellis WA1RKS. Ellis and I have a really bad path between us as Mt Greylock is in the way and very close to his end of the path. He called me and I was not even aimed at him. We had a good 579 contact on CW and his signal held steady for quite awhile, unlike most other nights. It was apparent that QSB was minimal for most of the evening.  N3RG was also very steady.

I am going from memory but here s a list of stations heard and worked from Mumbo Jumbo land.

N3RG FM29
WA1RKS FN32  CW
WA1NLG FN41
WA1MBA FN51
WA3EOQ FM09  CW
W9KXI FN12
VE3FN FN25  CW
K1ZK FN34
W1GHZ FN34
W1AIM FN34
K1OR FN42
N1GLT FN42
WZ1V (Good Buddy Ron)  FN31
K1PXE FN31  Who has a cool Smart Phone now.
W2TMA  FN30
WA3NUF FN20
WA3SSG  FN20
KC3BVL  FN20 located in downtrown Philly!
K1FMS FN32
W2BYP FN13  CW
N1LHP FN42

I did work WA3SSG who is a new addition on 222 MHz with a brand new Q5 transverter and some sort of LPY antenna at 25 ft. He is 320 miles from me and we managed a pretty good SSB QSO.

I missed NZ3M in FN10 and never could connect up to try with Cornell KO4YC down near Richmond, VA.  I was pleased with my WA3EOQ contact at 501 miles. We set up a sked on the chat page and I went to 222.130 and sent a few dashes and signed my call.  Lo and behold, I heard Howard come right back sending calls and his grid square. There was no QSB and I did not miss a character. I replied and then WA3EOQ came back with RRRs and 73.  Now the signal strength was very weak but it was there and pretty darn steady. I was impressed that such things are possible on 222 MHz in late November. Thanks to the tropo scatter Gods for that  QSO. I remember being a kid and reading the 1st edition of the ARRL VHF Manual edited by Ed W1HDQ. I digested everything that was in that manual, and still remember the curves showing path loss vs distance on several of the bands (50 thru 1296)  I was always intrigued by the hook in the curve and how the path loss dropped very slowly after a few hundred miles. That was magic to me and I could see that having a good antenna was worth the trouble and aggravation of assembling it.  About seven years later I was at Ft Monmouth learning all about tropo scatter systems. During the Vietnam War, that entire country was held together by tropo systems with hundreds of voice channels criss-crossing the country.  I always marveled at the one tropo link at Vung Tau that went to Thailand, smack dab in our 900 MHz band. It was over 615 miles long and contained over a thousand voice channels. Will all those who can maintain a 600 mile voice path on 903 MHz please raise your hands!! All it takes is a good antenna and a 15 KW klystron.  I believe that the receivers employed REL parametric amplifiers in a diversity setup. NF was probably 2 dB.    But I digress....

As it got close to 02:00 UT I elevated the antenna and looked for any EME action.  I had hoped condx would be good and they were.  I needed more than my Gonset Sidewinder, but it was still a great night.  I worked Tom NH6Y in Hawaii, W5EME in Lousiana, N1AV in AZ, and K3SK in Virginia.  Ian, W6TCP in CA had some sort of remote issues and we could not try. He had been QRV earlier before the remote mishap. Signals were all very good. NH6Y was quite loud. When he called, he covered up N1AV who was also very loud. They seemed to be spaced about 50 Hz apart here and I could not separate them. We used Q65B with 60 second sequences. I heard everyone in the headphones at one time or another. I spent about an hour on EME and had four QSOs for my efforts. I wish there had been more activity as signals peaked up quite well. I quit about 02:45 and went home before the snow started. I have my preamp located at the antenna. It sits in a box above the elev rotor with a flexible loop of Super flex about 2 ft long and looped to the power divider.  You definitely need that on 222 if you want to hear well. It makes a big difference.

This coming weekend is the EME contest. Moonset on Saturday is 09:30 UT  late at night, and Moonrise is 20:15 on Saturday afternoon. If you have a horizon only setup, you should check your moonrise and set times. With luck you might hear something. I will be on 222 over the weekend. I will check 432 at my rise and set times as I have no elevation on that antenna.

73 & good luck

Dave K1WHS