Re: [VHFcontesting] Why me Lord? What is going on?

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why me Lord? What is going on?
From: Terry Price <terry@directivesystems.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:19:58 -0400
While meant as a "tongue in cheek" joke, I have seen wind do things I never
would have believed. I maintained some antennas for a friend. He had a full
size 3 element 40m beam on top a 140' tower. The real deal 48' boom,
MASSIVE 100# elements made with layers of tubing to achieve strength. 4"
X.25" steel mast with a 1/4" steel cable boom sag going to the top of the
15' mast (with steps on it). The boom to mast plate was 1/2" think aluminum
and used 4 U bolts made with 1/2" diameter steel to hold the antenna to the
mast. He had an ice/wind event that actually sheared the 4, 1/2" Ubolts
which allowed the antenna (all 400+ lbs) of it to swing out from the mast
only held by the boom sags. The 4" mast buckled and the steel cables broke.
I found the antenna 150 feet away from the tower. I can't imagine what that
would have looked like in person. The tower is probably older than I am,
made by the Stainless Tower Company. It has 2" diameter solid legs and
probably 3 feet on a side. No diagonal bracing like Rohn 25/45/55 so when
the antenna turns and you are near the top, the tower twists for the first
few seconds with inertia, then catches up, quite a rush I might add.

It was probably some kind of micro-burst wind event.

Terry Price - W8ZN
Directive Systems and Engineering
703-754-3876