Re: [VHFcontesting] Why me Lord? What is going on?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why me Lord? What is going on?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:59:50 -0300
I'm sure you guys won't believe me, but one of the ideas(jokes) I was going
to post was also pterodactyl as well! (I swear it)

The other perhaps more obvious one, was Hurricane(post tropical depression?)
Lee?  It took out a lot of trees and power lines here in NB, NS and PEI.
Not sure if it got close enough to FN43MJ to do much damage, but maybe there
is some hidden shrapnel laying around also? (swaying trees close enough to
inflict that kinda pain on your 222 array?)

My 3rd guess would be maybe from a Turkey Vulture or two slamming into it?
They've started moving into NB just in the past few years and boy are those
guys big !  (look for feathers Dave)

The missing antenna in Doug's post has me totally stumped !

73- Mike VE9Antenna Antenna

p.s.- to add to *(but not top) these 2 (K1WHS/K4LY)mysteries.once, when I
was just barely moved into my old QTH in FN65 c-1992, I had whole trees go
missing. The (crime scene) cleanup was extraordinary.  Found out it was the
neighbour taking them for firewood.

I am hoping this is not how the mumbo jumbo 222 antenna mystery is
solved..by discovering a cranky neighbour who owns a chainsaw.

Today I came back from my camp only to find that my 222 MHz EME/TROPO array
has sustained serious damage to one side of the H frame. It was working and
looking just fine on Friday when I saw it last and there has been zero wind
since then. I mean there has been no wind!! Both antennas on one side are
smashed and the booms are pushed inward toward the main mast. Both booms
have been snapped in half. All I can think of is that something big must
have snagged it. A big bird could not damage both of them at once. The
braces have been bent sideways so whatever hit it had considerable force
behind it.

I am off the air with a directional antenna until this gets repaired. The
two local guys who might have helped are out of state so I am alone in
trying to recover from whatever damaged them. It is a mess.  I will be
trying to figure out what to do. This is a huge disaster. There is no damage
anywhere else. I have no clue what happened.

73

Dave K1WHS

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB