[VHFcontesting] The 222uesday Wrap up

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The 222uesday Wrap up
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 10:59:10 -0400
Fall is tropo time in New England. This year we are finally getting some, and I am grateful.  Some parts of the country have been blessed with an insane amount of DX. I have read comments such as " I added 39 grids and ten states to my DX list last night"  Well it has not been that good up here in Moose country, but I am very thankful that we got anything. Results compared to the previous few years are way up.

Last night was a good example. I got a late start and at 22:45 UT the 222 calling frequency was busy. There were stations coming out of the woodwork and everyone seemed to be having fun. N1JEZ and N1BUG were remarking that signals seemed up and the QSB was low. I never checked the beacons here, as I was busy trying to see what stations were already making noise on 222!   N1BUG said his shack was way too warm and was not sure how long he would last, so I turned my beam NE and had a great QSO with Paul. He was 59+40 with a monster of a signal.

I then saw that WA3EOQ was trying a sked with K1ZK in northern VT,near Burlington. Zach is about 450 miles away from FM09 and his heading is about 17 degrees different from my heading to western Maryland. Normally WA3EOQ is barely copyable here, but last evening, I heard him Q5 calling K1ZK. Both stations were calling each other. Woah! This is different. I listened for awhile, then couldn't resist and called WA3EOQ. He came right back and turned his beam on me and signals shot up to 559. That was the loudest that I ever have heard Howard in several years of actively trying to work each other.

I listened again when WA3EOQ and N1BUG were attempting their sked. At one point Howard's signals crept up to 569 or maybe even 579 and that is when Paul, N1BUG heard him well enough to complete the contact. I was really surprised and amazed that Paul made the contact over a 650 mile path, The azimuth track takes the signals right over the White  Mountains of NH., and is quite a bit farther North than the path to my house.  The path goes right over Mt Osceola and is just about 5 miles south of the summit of Mt Washington at 6288 ft.  A look at the Hepburn map tells the story. As you go farther north, conditions looked better for a NE SW path. For the first time in ages it looked like northern New England had slightly elevated condx while the Connecticut shoreline seemed just normal.  Having N1BUG, N1JEZ and W1AIM etc all active allowed us to see this in action.  I remarked that N1BUG definitely won the Bass Boat and trailer for the week. That is the longest QSO that I am aware of.

I also listened to the sked between KO4YC and N1BUG.  I thought Paul would make that one too, but no joy this time. Cornell had a great signal here, but I am much closer to him then N1BUG. A look at the Hepburn map shows the enhancement.   Before it goes away look at 0300 UT on Sept 6 for eastern North America. I enclosed a screen shot, but usually it gets stripped off when sent. You can see a filament of enhancement that extends from the St Lawrence river outlet down across northern New England , central New York, and then couples into an adjoining min or ridge through western PA, WV and into Kentucky. You can also see a slight enhancement down the coast, but it is slight. Now you have to take these maps with a grain of salt. In my experience, I would say that you will always do better than what the map tells you will happen. If you see green to light green, that is good for at least 10 dB or so and should be checked out.  You want to look for long filaments of color and realize that either side of the axis might also be productive.  Note the hurricane remnant off Nova Scotia. They have a habit of pulling in warm moisture from down south and running it up over dry and colder Canadian air this time of year.

slideshow

Last week, I had worked W8PAT a few times on the big Sept 2 event when things were really great, and figured that a sked with him might be interesting. A look at the map shows mostly blue and purple along a projected path, but we tried and John was hearing me just fine. I had to wait for a QSB peak but then I could copy him as well. We used FT8 and his best level was -17 and he was audible in my phones. We could have worked on CW.  I checked afterward and found that he was running a CC boomer and about 50 watts at the antenna.  You have to use your imagination when looking at the path on the Hepburn map. There is a little green near my QTH down to Connecticut, but not so much in a line out to the Cleveland area. There was a small hot spot in central New York.  I wonder what allowed this contact? Distance is 596 miles.

I tried with K9MRI and AJ6T, but there was no propagation other than meteors. So my best DX for the evening was WA3EOQ, KO4YC, and W8PAT. All were between 500-600 miles. Definitely a good night, but not enough to win the bass boat and trailer. I had 25 QSOs and missed a few more that I heard but never got a chance to work. (WW1Z and N2JMH)  All in all, 222 was way too much fun. You do not know what you are missing if you have not tried it. 222 MHz "rocks".

73

Dave K1WHS