[VHFcontesting] The 222 MHz amplifier project Update

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The 222 MHz amplifier project Update
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 17:55:21 -0400
Hi VHfers

I have five amplifiers all built and tested to bring to Central States. It is a good thing that I tested them as I found a few trouble spots. Nothing too serious. The first unit powered up and ran up to 1000+ watts with no trouble. I cranked the drive up to a bit over 1500 watts out and it shut down for a VSWR fault. I unplugged the coax and measured the load at 222 MHz. It was 33 dB return loss so should not have tripped. Turns out I was getting a squirrely result with rf getting into the reflected part of the directional coupler. I cut up and bent a shield to go over the sensor part, and that tamed it down. So I had to make shields for all the amps.  Then I got thinking that it needed some delrin feet so the amp does not mar the finish on your dining room table when you plop it down to show the XYL.  So I made  bottom covers for all the amps and turned some delrin feet on the lathe.

All the others worked fine but one was missing the reflected power wire. (?)  I must have been tired.  I fixed that, and the only other problem was that one of the DC switches got real hot during TX with 1000 watts out. I took it apart and added heat sink compound and made sure all was sitting properly in the holes. A second try was successful. The switch seems rather cool.

I ran one of them for quite awhile at about 700 watts out to see the heatrise on the heatsink. It went over 44 degrees and the fans stayed on after the TX shut down.  I have two 24 VDC fans on the pallet. Maybe it wants two more for real high duty operation.

Now to figure out how to pack them up for the trip. I am leaving at 2AM and heading for Little Rock with the amps. They look great in my opinion. heh heh.

73

Dave K1WHS