[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night plans.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night plans.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:47:59 -0400
Oh my gosh, it's Tuesday again!  I have been working on 222 MHz 1500 watt amplifiers for so long I almost forgot what day it is. This is the time to exercise your VHF gear with an evening of casual or not so casual contacts with other 222 MHz fanatics. Last week was pretty darn great even with numerous thunderstorms in northern New England. Activity was pretty good. The rain static subsided early on, and I came real close to making 30 contacts for the evening. I ended up with 28 including K1OR,( Who I forgot to log)

I will be on at about 2300 UT on 222.100 but will not be  for long....maybe just an hour or so. I am leaving for Central States in the middle of the night, and need to get some sleep beforehand.  Still I just can't keep away from the band.  I will be using my lower power solid state amplifier again.  Last week, we had a new station on, KC1V in FN31. His setup is working great even with a long run of coax.  I hear that W3CMP is working at getting on very soon too. 222 MHz antennas are actually being ordered from ham dealers!

The ON4KST Chat page is a good spot to keep tabs on what is going on. It is a good way to set up skeds if there is no regular activity in your area. So, if you want a QSO with FN43 Mumbo Jumbo, I would suggest looking towards Maine early in the evening.  I will be spending the day mowing the lawn and testing out five 1500 watt 222 MHz amps at high power. These amps are going to Little Rock and are already spoken for. I had them all basically running and just ran 100 milliwatts into them and saw a few watts coming out when I touched them off after finishing the wiring.  Today is QRO test day.  I hope they all pass.  The amp project has taken way too much time, but it is lurching along with relatively few bumps in the road. The amps look and work great.

Not sure if I will be back for next Tuesday evening.  I think I will be, but who knows what can happen lately.  I am driving to Little Rock just so I can drag as many of the amps along as possible.  Flying was not an option this time. Each amp weighs about 36 lbs.  I can just see me cramming all those amps in the overhead bins!!

Gotta go. The lawn is calling!!

Dave K1WHS

PS.  GET ON 222 MHz TONIGHT!!  You might win a bass boat and trailer.