[VHFcontesting] portable stations

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] portable stations
From: Alan Larson <wa6azp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:54:19 -0700
Peter Hutter writes:
> One criteria of the ARRL VHF contest rules for portable operation
> seems restrictive is the 10W power limit. Battery and portable
> powerstation technologies have made significant advances in
> recent times.

If you want to operate portable with more than 10 watts, there is no rule
restricting it.  You simply enter as "Single Operator".  I have been in many
VHF contests as such (or as Multiple Operator).

The 10 watt portable entry class is just an entry class, allowing the low
power, limited time, stations to be reported separately in the scores.

Low and High power portable mountaintop stations have a tremendous
advantage over most home stations.

        Alan