[VHFcontesting] Why ARRL and CQWW VHF rules discriminate against portabl

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Why ARRL and CQWW VHF rules discriminate against portable and hill topper stations.
From: peter hutter via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 20:25:46 +0000 (UTC)
One criteria of the ARRL VHF contest rules for portableoperation seems
restrictive is the 10W power limit. Battery and portable powerstation
technologies have made significant advances in recent times.
They’resignificantly lighter, smaller in size, higher in power density,
andsafer to transport. I suggest adding multiple power categories for those
whowant to run more power while activating a rare and/or remote grid square
morefeasible and worthwhile.

I feel that the CQWW VHF Hilltopper category rules are farmore restrictive, the
10 Watt limit and six hour operating limit! Who wants totrek their packed gear
on a long hike and scramble to set everything up only tooperate six hours? The
chance of catching a band opening during a narrowoperating schedule is greatly
reduced and the increased outcome of ademoralized effort. How about adding
categories to allow more time and higher power options?

Also, CQWW VHF contest committee needs to relax the use ofchat pages and the
like for promoting activity for everyone. Us radio amateurs need to findways to
increase participation, not reduce it.

73, Peter WW2Y