[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Evening

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Evening
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:28:16 -0400
Well now that the June contest is past and the dust has settled, it is time for another 222 Activity Night. The festivities start at about 2300UT on the East Coast and continue up to about 0100 UT and much later in the midwest until past 0200 UT.  I had good intentions of being active in the June contest, but ran into computer issues with the logging program and automated CW keying. I had everything working fine on Friday afternoon. The Winkey worked well and the CW messages all worked as advertised.  So I shut down the computer and restarted it several times and each time, all worked great. On saturday morning I did the same thing with similar results.  I was installing photo voltaic wiring in PVC conduit in the morning and got my solar system all buttoned up. I had some lunch and got to the VHF contest at 3 PM local and started out on six meters. Everyone was on digital screen mode and pushing buttons. There was almost no SSB orCW activity that I could hear. I worked five stations and then noted that the automated CW messages would not play. I spent two hours dealing with that to no avail. I re booted everything. I checked COM ports. I checked COM baud rates.  I was running 500 watts on solar power and when I saw how pitiful the activity was on CW and SSB, I decided that running the big amp and consuming diesel fuel was a waste of time. I was quite dis heartened.

It didn't help that I went home and tried to implement a new 16 relay USB board for remote operation. I could not get the software to recognize the board.  I worked on that most of Saturday evening. The problems just kept stacking up. In disgust, I turned everything off, got in my truck and drove to my camp and went fly fishing for native brook trout. The trout were lurking in the stream. Water temp was 54 and they were getting pretty active. I even saw the loon pair nesting on their new nest. It seems there will be a new loon chick around early July. All in all, I took a mental health weekend that did not include computers.

I will be on this evening for 222 night starting at just before 2300 UT.  i hope to work  a goodly number of stations and plan to run SSB and CW (without a Winkey). There is no Moon available at any decent hour, but I can be easily convinced to try a Q65 sked over the horizon.  It promises to rain all day, so I do not expect great band condx. We have another low pressure system swirling around New England, but I hope it is not as bad as last week. Signals were definitely down last week for the most part.  I start out at 222.100 CW or SSB and move off as people show up.  If you are getting on this evening, please make a point to try something that seems impossible.  Go outside of your comfort zone. This is the way you can detect those hidden paths that are not always possible. There could be some nice contacts made from the mid Atlantic states westward.  I am hoping the Toronto contingent shows up. That path has been silent here in past weeks.  Remember to check ON4KST Region 2 144/432 MHz to try for some skeds.   CU there!

Dave K1WHS

For those who are afraid of CW, I would offer that CW can be as good as FT8  if you get any kind of practice. There are two types of CW practice. One is copying CW in QRM with many callers, Type two is simply using slow speed CW but trying to pull it out of the noise. If you want to experiment with CW, I can go very slow. If you call very slow, I will try to match your speed and keep it simple. In all of my experiments with FT8 on VHF, I have yet to work anything that I cannot work on CW at the same time.  You also do not have to keep track of baud rates, COM ports, and audio CODECs with CW.  You can use 222 nights to practice trying a CW contact for the first time. That is what 222 night is for. There is no rush, Just get on and play around. Use ON4KST to line things up and have fun.