Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 22:30:29 -0400
Well I had hoped for more activity for the Tuesday night 222 Activity Night. Things were a tad slow on the East Coast. From a cursory look at the Chat page, and it was amazing to see all of the activity that is not in the northeast! I was really getting excited seeing all those W9 calls trying skeds. AJ6T, AA8MA, AA9MY, K9MRI, N4PZ, N1GC, W5EME, AA4ZZ, and a few more W4 stations were all in there making noise. That was great to see. Maybe this 222 Night stuff istaking hold. It sure is fun to see the activity!  Modes were on both CW and FT-8.

I got started a bit before 23:00 UT with my recently improved Solar panel and battery system only coupled with a new 500 watt solid state LARCAN amp. I ran the whole evening off a big Lithium battery and was very pleased with the results. The battery is in the other building, so I just ran a 115 vac circuit from the inverter over to the other building and run everything on a 115 volt line. I was using my newly completed Larcan 500 watt amplifier. t has two MRF151Gs in it. They are rated at 300 watts up to 175 MHz. At 222, they do about 250 each and I was seeing 500 watts in my shop measured with a big attenuator and an HP 435 power meter. (+57 dBm)  Up on the hill, my Bird 43 showed about 300 watts, but it is at the bottom of the scale so is probably not very accurate. I worked everything I heard, and copied the usual suspects that Ron picked up less K2RMX. I missed him for some reason. Ron had 15 Qs while I had 14 QSOs.  Conditions were up and down. It was a struggle to work KO4YC at 520 miles, He was on SSB and CW,  but a few minutes later he was a good 559 when he worked K1PXE, the Voice of Milford. After 9 PM, I tried CQing on FT-8 to see how the amp worked. (It liked it). I copied no signals on FT-8 and bagged it at about 0115 UT.

WA3EOQ at 502 miles was also worked early on and Howard was very good copy on CW. He did not notice much difference between the battery power and my diesel powered  generator powering the 8877 at 1500 watts. There was QSB on Howard and he went from 549 down to just at the noise level over the duration of our QSO.  I was very impressed that I could do all of this with a battery system. I quit a bit after 9 PM, so was banging away for about 2 hrs and 30 minutes. The battery was at 72% of full charge when I was done.  I loved the new solid state PA. It just sat there on a shelf and was quiet, with no audible noise. I could hear the high speed teeny weeny fans in the 48 volt supply, but the 222 amp made no noise at all. At the end of the evening it was just pleasantly warm.  Gads, what a difference from the other setup. The 8877 has a blower remotely running outside the building and air is piped in through a 2" air hose. Just the moving air makes quite a racket. I can really get used to this amp!  I am so enamored with it that I started building another just like it, and it is almost ready to go. It is about 75% wired up and all the metal work is completed. I even gave the front panel a coat of paint after I came home from the VHF shack this evening.  I might bring it to the NEVHF Conference in Windsor Locks, CT.

73

Dave K1WHS