Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m Sprint

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m Sprint
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:23:04 -0300
Dang it !  I missed it Bill..ARGH!  We even had the day as a holiday.

A couple weeks ago I said to myself "Surely someone (Maybe Dave/K1WHS?) will
post a reminder".

I don't do very much VHF these days but still do have 2m. (17el+100w CW/SSB
on a ridgetop here in FN66) so

can pretty much work anyone in Maine (N1BUG) and some NH stations with
relative ease (WA1T comes to mind).

If WZ1V is aimed exactly this way, I can work Ron and once in a while have
even worked K1TEO.

Dang it Dave - why didn't you send out a reminder (big hi hi!!!) for
forgetful goofballs like me? ;-)

Kicking myself in the derrier big time over this one.  I love reading all
the 222 msgs' just about every week from Dave and the rest of you guys and
here was a chance to cash in on a couple VHF credits and redeem myself
ever-so-slightly and I was probably watching TV or some other such nonsense.

DOH !! <<<in my best Homer Simpson voice.

Mike VE9AA FN66na

Call: K1DY

Class: Single Op HP

QTH: FN54JQ

Operating Time (hrs): 2

Comments:

Well, since my 110ft tower blew down in the big "bomb cyclone" we had

just before Xmas, I've had to improvise. On 2 meters I just put my 8 element

rover antenna on a 15 ft mast and pointed it SW (through trees and a ridge I

normally see over). I can run outside and "Armstrong rotate" the

antenna. made 11 QSO's in 8 grids 5 QSO's were on SSB, 6 on FT-8, though I'm

pretty sure I

could have worked all the FT-8 stations on SSB or certainly CW. Best DX was

K1TEO in FN31 on sideband. Also worked WZ1V in FN31 at 288 miles, K1ZK in VT
on

SSB at 203 miles and VE1SKY in FN74 at 193 miles, (went out and turned the
beam

135 degrees for that one!) Had a near QSO with W2KV in FN20. We both heard
each

other on CW but couldn't complete. That's a 408 mikle path. Not bad for an

antenna 15 feet off the ground! Thanks to CSVHF for sponsoring and to all
who

got on. - bill, k1DY FN54JQ Maine (still snow on ground)

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB