[VHFcontesting] 222 Night Wrap up from FN43 Mumbo-Jumbo land

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Night Wrap up from FN43 Mumbo-Jumbo land
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:58:47 -0500
Hi 222 ops!

Tonight was quite remarkable in some ways. I walked up the long woods road to the hilltop. The road seemed longer due to the snow shoes. They are rather cumbersome and with uneven ground you tend to look like a drunken sailor while walking.  My first order of business was to test out the generator and see how it was performing, so I started it from the gen shed and watched it as it fired up. I put a voltmeter on the actuator (The thingey that moves the throttle linkage) and measured the current. I had set it a bit over 2 amps when running properly. When it first came upit showed about 4 amps, but it quickly dropped down as the engine stabilized and it was purring along at just over 2 amps in no time. From all indications, all looks in order, so I headed off to the shack. Inside temp was 43 degrees. Not bad for February and no heat. When the generator comes on, it runs a single base board electric heater. Add in my 1000 watt electric footwarmer space heater, and I was toasty warm in just a few minutes. I listened to some beacons. The W3CCX beacon on 222.060 was peaking over 20 dB above the noise on my panadaptor. There was QSB down but I figured 20 dB meant that conditions might be good on QSB peaks.

Stations worked included WW2Y on CW and SSB. Peter was peaking S9 and was so loud when he called on CW that it scared me! SIgnals were pretty good for most stations. I tried a sked with K8TQK but had no luck hearing anything. At one point I thought I detected "musical noise". This reminded me of CW tries on EME long ago. Before you could copy anything you just had a sense that something was in there way down in the noise. Not sure who coined the phrase, but musical noise is an apt description. Other stations worked include WW1Z in FN42 on SSB,  K2AEP in FN32 SSB, K1FSY in FN31 on SSB, WA1RKS in FN32 on CW,  K1PXE FN31 on SSB. VE3DS was worked on CW with pretty good signals in the 55 to 58 level. VE3FN on SSB (I think) . The northern VT boys: W1GHZ and W1AIM plus VE2XX all on SSB.  My sked with WA3EOQ was very interesting as it started out with him rather loud as I tried to center him in my passband on CW only to have him appear to stop calling. I thought he (or I) was out of sequence, but it was some rapid QSB. He would peak for 10 seconds or so and then disappear rapidly.  I have not seen such fast fading on his signal before. That is a 500 mile path. You would think QSB would be slow.  I also tried with KO4YC. WZ1V and K1PXE located him and Ron told him I was in there and soon Cornell was peaking up at 52 or53 on SSB on a 520 mile path from FM17.  I was curious to try with Stephen VE3ZV in EN92 as VE3DS was pretty loud out that way. I was not ready for what I heard. I started calling on CW and was greeted by very loud SSB when I stood by. It was VE3ZV on SSB and he was a good S7. That is another almost 500 mile path. Seeing how strong VE3ZV was, I am not surprised that I heard a little bit from K8TQK! Others worked included Al, W9KXI from FN12 on SSB, N1YCQ FN41, WA1MBA in FN51, and WA3NUF in FN20.  I ended up with 20  stations worked and some neat skeds that were not successful but were much fun never the less.

I was so thrilled with the great signals from VE3DS, VE3ZV, and KO4YC.  Those three plus WA3EOQ are all close to or over 500 miles. I would not expect such signals in mid February!  Thanks to all who got on and made noise. In the grand scheme of things you are all helping to make the 222 MHz band a very hot property!  I had a big smile on my face all the way down the hill.

73

Dave K1WHS