[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night Warning

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night Warning
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:43:37 -0500
If you have been doing a lot of hamming and your ears are ringing with tones and bleeps and QRM, it might be a good idea to stay off 222.100 MHs this evening as there will be more activity on that band than you will want to endure.  Tuesday nights are THE night for 222 activity.  Last week was an ordeal upnherein the semi wilds of Maine. After snow shoeing up to the shack, i was greeted by snow, sleet and then freezing rain. The freezing rain was a bit scary as it rapidly covered everything in a thin glaze of ice. I went QRT early as I did not want to break my neck trying to negotiate the hill in the dark with a covering of ice on everything.  With all of the snow and rain static, reception was difficult, but I still made more than 20 contacts on CW and SSB. Not bad for an hour and a half.

So do not forget to dust off the key and shine the microphone for more action tonight. It typically kicks off starting at 00:00 UT.   Activity is good up to about 0200UT in the northeast, but it will continue past that in the mid west and other spots farther west.  At some point we are due for some enhanced conditions, and the all bets are off. If there is a chance for something new or out of the ordinary, many dxers will stick around past when the cows come home.  The ON4KST Chat page is a good gathering place to set up skeds. (144-432 Region 2 Chat)

It is 40 degrees F and partly sunny. The snow is melting. I think tere is about a foot of snow in the woods and no storms are forecast for the evening. (Unlike last week here)  I plan to put on the snow shoes and hike up the hill with my backpack and laptop.  Having the laptop allows digi QSOs and the ability to monitotr a chat page or to.  I will be up there today testing out the diesel generator to make sure it is functioning properly. Last week, I had a shut down for some unknown reason. I suspect an overspeed condition.  After all,  I repaired my electronic speed actuator with a $1.29  spring from the hardware store. I suspect a minor hiccup with speed control.

So I hope to see many stations on this evening. I am looking forward to a fun night on 222 MHz.

73

Dave K1WHS

PS. The wheels are cranking on the 222 MHz 1500 watt amplifier bonanza. As it looks now, the plan is to offer the ready to go amplifiers at a minimal price around $200. All you will need is a 50 volt PS.  They will be made available to get rare states on the air.  More info soon.