[VHFcontesting] W1AW/0 VHF contest report

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W1AW/0 VHF contest report
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 04:21:33 +0000
1500 UTC. Was hoping for maybe a meteor scatter contact...

I was surprised when I turned on the radio after setting up and the FT8 band
map screen was full of strong traces at 1505 UTC. Wow! There was a surprise
sporadic-E opening Sunday morning. Es open to W1, W2, W3, VE3, and W8. The
Ontario stations were booming in and I had a pileup calling. Even some F2 with
PJ4MM FK52 peaking at -8 dB at 1554 UTC.

Even more amazing MM0AMW decoded several W9 stations on 6 Meters. Several
stations I worked like KW9A were spotted into Scotland Sunday morning.  Unsure
if the propagation mode was multi-hop Es or F2 ?

The W1AW/0 6 Meter contacts will be uploaded to LoTW. Pics of the setup on the
ARRL Contest Soapbox.

 - Jon N0JK