[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night

To: "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:00:19 -0500
I must apologize. This little mote will be brief.  I want to remind everyone that it is Tuesday and Tuesday means a lot to many VHFers as it is the best time to congregate on the 222 MHz band and make contacts on one of our best VHF bands. While it is true that 222 MHz is not authorized in Europe, that only means that out European friends don't know what they are missing!   The reason for the brief note is that we got dumped on in Northern New England with lots of heavy wet snow again. I have seen comments of 14-16" of the stuff. I think to the North it was even deeper as most precip was well inland away from population centers along the New England coast. It snowed all niight and then all day on Monday. I got out my 17 year old snow blower and it went about 40 ft and quit throwing the white stuff. Turns out it flat wore out and a key way on the drive shaft broke and the key got reduced to nothing. Parts are not available so, between trying to fix the machine and  not having driveways and walkways shoveled out. I was in a tough spot. The solution was a new machine. I just finished clearing the place and there is no way I can access my remote VHF shack. There is almost 2 ft of snow all of a sudden in the woods. Negotiating the road at night on snow shoes is possible, but not for me tonight! I would have to lug a computer with me and common sense has reared its ugly head telling me to stay home.  Too bad because the Moon was getting in a great spot this evening. If you have a few hundred watts on 222, it might be a good idea to check the HB9Q  222 MHz Chat page and see if there is any action during your Moonset. No harm in listening when the moon sets at your location. Moonset for me in western Maine is about 0100-0145 UT. For every 15 degrees west add an hour.  I am about 71 degrees west longitude. The WSJT-X program will give you aiming info in the "ASTRONOMICAL DATA" window.

So it looks like my activity nights are on hold for about  six weeks until warmer wx shows up.  I have a plan to grab a 16 element yagi and put it up at the house maybe for next week.  That is if I can find a spot to hang the yagi that is not too far away.  Running a longish feedline could be difficult.  If the snow abates, I might be able to get on 222 from the VHF shack, but don't hold your breath. More snow is predicted.

REMEMBER: Jan 24  starting about 7 PM EST 00:00 UT  222.100 MHz CW SSB  FT-8  JT65  Facsimile  SSTV. The important thing is to be there and work your friends. It is really a blast.

73

Dave K1WHS