[VHFcontesting] Radios used for 222MHz

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Radios used for 222MHz
From: Howard Reynolds <wa3eoq@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 12:25:20 -0400
Up until a year or so ago I ran an FT736R with a 100W brick.  Antenna has
always been 16 elements up 80 feet with antenna mounted preamp.  (The 736R
was still working fine, but some critical parts were becoming unavailable
if they failed.)  I have now upgraded the station with an IC-9700 for 144,
432, and 1296 so now I needed to go back to a transverter for 222MHz.  For
that band I now use a K3s for an IF driving a Q5 Signal (nee DEMI) 100W
transverter.  The 100W gets me around just fine and, with the preamp, I
hear very well.  I also have 1-5/8 inch hard line to the antenna, so most
of the 100W gets there.  222MHz is VHF Ham Radio's best kept secret, many
times out-performing 2m.  No need to run a kW.  See you there.  WA3EOQ