Re: [VHFcontesting] Radios Used For 222MHz

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Radios Used For 222MHz
From: Paul N1BUG FN55mf <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 04:49:30 -0400
Hi Chris,

I use a Q5 Signal transverter, FT-2000 as the IF rig, an intermediate amp with a BLF278 and a Harris channel 13 deck which gives 800 watts out with around 40 watts drive. Naturally I would suggest going with a 1500W amp if you can. I use a home built 22 element K1FO yagi at 115 feet and a homebrew "old school" MGF1302 preamp at the top of the tower.

It sure would be great to have you on the band with high power! I'd love to have good stations around the 500 mile mark to work. I can make that distance most of the time if I have a high power station with a good antenna at the other end, but high power stations are becoming more and more scarce these days.

73,
Paul N1BUG