[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 20:09:49 -0400
I really tried, but things just did not work out.  I walked up the hill with a laptop and my Anritsu antenna tester. I turned on all the gear and listened for the new beacon on 222.060. I heard nothing. I tuned around and heard no other beacons, so I took my Anritsu antenna analyzer and measured the 222 antennas. They were ALL bad. The 4 X yagi array had infinite VSWR, while the 8 yagi LVA was well over 2:1.  It has water in the feedline somewhere.  I tried connecting up to the internet, but the 5 GHz link was not there and I had no internet connection.  When it rains it seems to pour around here.  This was not a good day especially when you add in that my new solid state amp filter board blew up this morning when being tested at 1000 watts output.  I am very depressed about all of this. It looks like I suffered some antenna damage last fall when I dropped the array for the winter. One of the coax receptacles is broken in the preamp box and that allowed water to get in. Apparently it caused some other damage inside. I have no clue why the 4 X yagi array shows infinite VSWR?  The bottom line was that I could not even try to get on the air.  I did fire up the 8877 and it came up just fine. The 20 KW diesel is making power, but everything else is not quite ready for prime time.

I will be in Virginia for a week so will miss next week on 222, but I am hoping that the winds die down and it warms up enough to make me want to climb the tower. No telling what is wrong, but I will be working on it next week when I get back. I am sorry that I missed out on all of the excitement on 222 MHz this evening.

73

Dave K1WHS