Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 22:55:17 -0400
Hi Ron

That is a pretty fair list of active stations. Quite impressive, really. It is great to see that N1BUG was on and N8RA too.  But where is the Toronto contingent?

I am putting the finishing touches on my Larcan 1500 watt PA. The W6PQL control board has me a bit perplexed. It is wired up, but I am afraid to power it up. I am gun shy after screwing up the Larcan protection board. I let some smoke out while testing out some FET DC switches. It wasn't too serious, but made me overly cautious.  I did get a very nice 50 volt supply for it. It runs on 240 volts single phase but can deliver over 113 amps at 50 volts. It has taken much time to get it all put together. I know that KL6M said his 1500 watt amp can't get enough current out of the HP blade power supplies. They are rated at 57 amps I think. I am hoping 113 amps is enough.  (heh heh). I will also make up a smaller amp, a 500 watt max output solid state amp. Hopefully I can run it on solar power?  Running a genset is now very expensive.

I hope to be QRV again on 222 next week. I am looking forward to it.  I also need to get something back on for 144 MHz.

73

Dave K1WHS