Re: [VHFcontesting] 222MHz Activity Night

To: Peter Motyl <cs735171012@earthlink.net>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:54:34 -0400
Hello Pete and 222 folks

Well I am back from my Downeast trip and visiting some old friends.  It was rather convenient that the backyard of his house slopes down to the most famous fishing pool in Grand Lake Stream. (The Hatchery Pool). I went down there a few times and rubbed shoulders with all the expert fly fishermen who inhabit that pool this time of year. It is fly fishing only and catch and release! The salmon are starting their run up the river to spawn. They get a bit large. I managed to net two of them, and one was a semi-monster. It would not fit in my net and I had a heck of a time landing it with my 5 weight fly rod!  I had enough excitement doing that to keep me charged up until next year when the fishin' starts up again.

I am all keyed up for another 222 Activity Night tomorrow. Circle the date , October 12 and things get started after dinner at about 7 PM local time. That is 2300 UT. I looked at the Hepburn map and it looks OK for a change. There are actually some colors in the northeast! Try to get on and make a little noise even if you are in an area with very little activity.  Don't forget the chat pages. If there is no local activity you might try a long sked out of your local area. Here in the NE, things slow down around 0130 UT and many around here would love to run a sked to make the evening more interesting. Most use ON4KST Chat 144/432 Region 2. By 0130 I am looking for skeds typically. FT8, JT65, MSK144, even long haul CW skeds. Sometimes you can be amazed by propagation!

CU on 222!

Dave K1WHS