Re: [VHFcontesting] [FFMA] MAST FOR ROVERS

To: Jim Johnson <jim@kc4hw.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [FFMA] MAST FOR ROVERS
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 16:10:06 -0700
Unless there is a specific need for a Fiberglass pole I would be inclined to
use the 4 foot aluminium military surplus poles vs the 4 foot surplus
Fiberglass poles (I believe both were originally used for supporting camouflage
netting.)

I have used both and find the aluminum ones to be considerably sturdier for my
applications.

I have also drilled holes in some of my aluminum poles so I can "pin" the
sections together (using what seem to be called "Clevis pins.")   In some
circumstances I find it highly desirable for the poles to be "pinned" together.
  I you want I can send some pictures via direct email that may explain things
a bit better.

I suppose in some circumstances the aluminium poles might be un desirable or
perhaps even present more of a hazard than the aluminum poles.   I believe the
original military application for the Fiberglass poles was to support
camouflage nets near radar dishes and perhaps other antennas where using metal
poles might not have been desirable.

73 and good luck.

Mark S
VE7AFZ