Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 08:56:36 -0600
Well, I haven't been taking along a computer when I operate QRP Portable
because my laptop is an energy hog. It uses 19 volts DC. I built a power
inverter to change 12 to 19 volts. It draws 4 amps at 12 volts. That's too
much of a battery drain. Also, I don't know where to put it in my car when
it's packed with equipment and antennas for 10 bands.

But I'm interested in using FT4/8 if needed in one of these contests.
Especially since I am very happy with the performance of my recently
acquired FT897D. I could easily make a connector for it. So I have a
question. Are any other Rover/Portable stations using some sort of computer
that is small (like a Raspberry Pi) and doesn't draw a lot of current? I
would really be interested in putting something like that together. I'd
like some recommendations.

73, Zack W9SZ