Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!
From: Patrick Thomas <p-thomas@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:48:00 -0500 (EST)
The problem is that nobody is taking the few seconds to reach for a mic/key
once in a while during a 33-hour contest, right?  I do not see how a legacy
category will solve this - it will make it easier for people who don't want to
use digital to win a smaller competition but not solve the real problem, I
think.

A very high score bonus for SSB/CW would _actively motivate_ people to use
these modes - even the "mixed category" people.  If you could get 1 point on 2m
with an FT8 QSO that takes a minute to complete or say 10 points with a CW/SSB
contact that takes 15 seconds to complete (assuming a couple re-tries), it's a
no-brainer.  If you REALLY NEED digital, you can still use it, but you pay for
the "simplicity" with a lower score.

For the record, I'm under the age of 50, I have a major in computer science,
was an early adopter of cell phones and instant messengers, and I still
regularly use and advocate SSB/CW. :-P

By the way, the bigger problem I see is with attrition and lack of newcomers.
If we don't solve that then before long we'll need 1500 watts just to reach the
next nearest participant in most of the country, irrespective of mode.

Patrick
KB8DGC

-------