Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation! - IT DEPENDS!

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation! - IT DEPENDS!
From: Kim <whensley11@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 13:55:13 -0600 (CST)
For all the various opinions that have been offered, I'm going to offer mine.

Everyone's situation is different.  There's not one answer for all.

In my situation, there's not a high density of stations like there are in some
areas.  Contacts come by whatever means:  SSB, FM, FT8, etc.

I also contest with a VHF contest group.  Our usual setups on nowhere near
population centers.  Contacts come by whatever means.

My goal is not to win.  My goal is to have fun, and do my best with what I have.

If you think FT8 is automatic, or semi-automatic, you've got it wrong.  Just as
you have to develop skills for CW and SSB, the same is true for FT8.

If you're running FT8, you should have a waterfall of some type to watch the
band, especially on 6-meters.  Conditions should having you moving among SSB,
CW, FT8, FM, etc.  Having said that, I'm lacking.  My remote station is under
development (always!), and that's coming up on my list to do.

Let's be kinder about this.  YOUR situation and YOUR efforts all depend on what
you have in front of you and around you.  Every situation is different.  Let's
enjoy what we have.

73, Kim - WG8S