Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT versions for January VHF Contest?

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] WSJT versions for January VHF Contest?
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 21:12:06 -0700

>I would solicit a serious discussion on this.  Can we all agree to move
the "calling frequency"
> to 50.260MHz(or even lower).  My SWR will thank you.

Yeah, the smaller the spread between 'daytime' operation and MS the better,
although .260, .270, .280 all seem to work with only minor degradation in
performance here.

I think the concept of a calling frequency is kinda worthless during
contests, although it does give us all somewhere to listen when we run out
of guys on PJ and want to give the amplifiers a break from CQing.  We all
happily know where everyone is pointing and who's on what frequency through
the Internet (at least in ARRL contests - are you listening CQ ?)  Outside
the contest, it's important since nobody seems to turn the dial anymore and
WSJT-X kinda urges everyone to stay on the same frequencies, for better or
worse.  Yeah-Yeah, I know "it's designed to share a frequency between
users", but tell that to the guy who's POed because someone is full copy
the whole sequence, every sequence, on 6M ionoscatter and transmitting on
the "other" sequence.  Sort of tosses the idea of sharing right out the
window.

It does appear FSK441 is dead, unfortunately.  Moving back to .260 or
anywhere else is fine with me, as long as everyone knows it ahead of time.

Did the so-called MSK144 calling frequency on 2M move away from.140 ?
Probably time to put that back also, if it did.

Jay W9RM
DM58 CO

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner