Re: [VHFcontesting] Height vs. foliage

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Height vs. foliage
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:22:34 +0000 (UTC)
Yes, trees do make a difference on the higher bands. My qth is surrounded by
100' pines plus various lower trees. While I don't think it hurts too much on
HF, cell phone service is noticeably weaker in our yard. I put up a new TV
antenna last winter up about 25 feet; once the leaves came out around March the
signal for the station I watch most (190 Mhz) dropped enough to lose digital
lock (I was able to get it back by pointing the antenna more at the TV tower).

Any height you can get will help however. For temporary use you can even use
your trees as an advantage and hang smaller VHF beams from them. I have done
this for VHF contests several times. A 6m or 2m yagi hanging from a tree at 40
feet is way better than the same antenna on a 20 foot mast under the tree :)

Tor
N4OGW