[VHFcontesting] Trees, et al

To: p-thomas@mindspring.com, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Trees, et al
From: Crownhaven <crownhaven@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:30:00 -0500
Yes, trees make a difference. Especially at higher freqs. I have pine trees on a couple of sides of my QTH that are over 100'. Getting through them on 902 is tough, nearly impossible on 1.2 and 2.3. I'm sure they will affect the rest of the bands too although it might not be as severe. Regarding a tower, you got good advice regarding Rohn 45 vs. 25. Sturdier and MUCH easier to climb I am told. :))) Cellular engineers typically adjust power and coverage from winter to summer as leaves come and go so this validates the issue with trees soaking up RF. I understand pine trees are especially bad for some reason.

Steve, N4JQQ, EM55bd